Finding a Civil Surgeon


Medical examinations in the United States are typically required for adjustment of status (such as green card) cases (Form I-485), and may also be required for requests for “V” nonimmigrant status (Form I-539). If you are required to undergo an immigration medical exam, see the following table to find an approved doctor near you:


If you are... Then:
In the United States, The immigration medical exam must be conducted by a physician approved by USCIS (also known as a "civil surgeon"). To find an approved doctor near you, see the USCIS Civil Surgeons Locator or call our National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.
Abroad, The immigration medical exam mnust be conducted by a physician designated by the U.S. Department of State (also known as a "panel physician"). See the Department of State website to find an approved doctor near you.


Civil Surgeon

A medically trained, licensed and experienced doctor practicing in the U.S. who is certified by USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service). These medical professionals receive U.S. immigration-focused training in order to provide examinations as required by the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) and USCIS. For medical examinations given overseas, please see Panel Physician.

IMPORTANT: medical examinations will not be recognized if they are given by a doctor in the U.S. who is not a Civil Surgeon; please make sure that your appointment is with a Civil Surgeon or your results and documents will be invalid.

Medical Examination Fees

USCIS does not regulate the fees charged by civil surgeons for the completion of a medical examination.  Rates vary by physician.

Completing Medical Forms

Print out and bring the most recent version of Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record, to your medical exam appointment: Fill out Part 1 of Form I-693 but do not sign until the civil surgeon instructs you to do so. The civil surgeon will use Form I-693 to document the results of your medical exam.

The designated civil surgeon will complete and sign Form I-693,and seal the form and any supporting documents in an envelope. You must submit the sealed envelope to USCIS as directed in the Form I-693 instructions. 

IMPORTANT: Do not break the seal or open this envelope.  USCIS will not accept Form I-693 if it is not in a sealed envelope or if the envelope is altered in any way.

Civil Surgeons' Responsibilities and Requirements

For more information on civil surgeons' responsibilities, requirements and how civil surgeons can find instruction on how to best perform immigration exams, see our Currently Designated Civil Surgeons page.




GeoSalud, March 29, 2013