Pet Travel


Travel Abroad:

Always check with the country your pet is going to. Each country has their own set of rules, some simple, some complex. 

Various U. S. Government Agencies have rules for pet imports, especially the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and units of USDA.

Neither USDA nor CDC requires a health certificate for routine pet imports, but CDC requires proof of Rabies Vaccination.

CDC also has rules concerning other imported animals. 


USDA will not permit foreign substances such as native grass, soil, fresh meat, or vegetables to enter the country (plant and animal disease is the concern). 
Each State has their own requirements for health and/or rabies vaccination certification.

Some countries require an Heath Certificate and or proof of rabies vaccination signed by a U. S. government official. 

If you are taking a pet to another country, you may wish to contact that country's consulate or embassy for information. 

The International Airline Transportation Association (IATA), has some useful information concerning transport of pets, including container size, pet passports for the European Union, etc

There are companies that specalize in transporting pets. These businesses are licensed and inspected by USDA/APHIS's Animal Care Unit. Many of the licensed animal transporters are listed on the member pages of the International Pet Animal Transportation Association web pages. Those not listed on that member site can be found in the yellow pages or via a web search.

USDA standards for shipping dogs and cats can be found in Part 3, Standards of the Animal Welfare Regulations. See sections 3.13 through 3.19.

Airline have various animal transport rules. If traveling by air, please check with the airline well in advance of travel. 

More Information:


Autor: Dr. Carlos Muñoz Retana

​Actualizado: 5 de Enero, 2019